Welcome! The Office of Information Technology (IT) has been busy preparing for new and returning faculty and students. Below are some of the important changes we made during the break along with links to common websites and informative TECHNews articles.
Starting in March 2012, all students are given UM Gmail accounts which include access to Gmail, Google Drive, Google Sites and Google Calendar. Be sure to read our Gmail quick facts and Gmail FAQ for information on all the features your Gmail account provides. While employees continue to use UM Mail (Exchange) for official correspondence, they can also request a separate UM Gmail account for student collaboration, teaching a class and managing a Google group to name a few.
Former students admitted before March 18, 2012, please note. Email sent to your WebID@olemiss.edu address is automatically forwarded to your WebID@go.olemiss.edu address. The automatic forward will be in place until February 8, 2013.
Are you tired of running out of email storage space in UM Mail? We have a solution! Beginning in September 2012, employees could request 5 GB of disk space dedicated to email storage in UM Mail. We call this service the enterprise vault. Just let us know when you are ready to enable the vault.
In the fall semester, we piloted a new technology solution to minimize the attendance tracking and reporting effort for large (50+) class rolls. For the spring semester, IT deployed the tracking technology in thirteen additional classrooms. Read more about the attendance tracking scanners.
Blackboard Learn was upgraded to the latest stable release, version 9.1 SP9. Read more about the new features.
The Official Ole Miss App, iPhone Edition
In January, we went live with the iPhone edition of the Official Ole Miss App. Get the Official Ole Miss App today for your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. It’s FREE!
Links and TECHNews Articles
The links and articles below point to information and sites used every day on campus.
- Get Started – IT has links to commonly used websites for employees, parents and students.
- myOleMiss – Grades, registration and other services.
- UM Mail – Do you need to check your employee email from a web browser? UM Mail is the answer.
- UM Mobile – Check your grades and registration information, all from your smartphone.
- Blackboard – Our learning management system used by our instructors to interact with students. Don’t forget about Blackboard Mobile for your smartphone.
- Course Notes Online – Instructors and students should be aware of the risks of using third party course notes services.
If you have additional questions, please contact the IT Helpdesk at 662-915-5222 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can visit our website for more information or contact us Monday through Friday, 8 AM CST – 5 PM CST. Go Rebels!