Welcome! The Office of Information Technology (IT) has been busy preparing for new and returning faculty and students. Below are some of the important changes we made during the summer along with links to common websites and informative TechNews articles.
We Have Gone Google
Yes, we have gone Google. Student email was migrated from Webmail to Gmail. Former students, don’t worry. Email sent to your @olemiss.edu address is forwarded to your new @go.olemiss.edu address. The forward will be in place until February 8, 2013. Also, you can still log on to Webmail to read older emails. To log on to Gmail for the first time, visit go.olemiss.edu for instructions.
While employees continue to use UM Mail (Exhange) for official correspondence, they can also request a separate Gmail account for student collaboration, teaching a class and managing a Google group to name a few.
Mailing Lists Got a Facelift
After twelve years of service, our mailing list server was retired. In July, we migrated all lists to Google Groups. For a few highlights, the mailing lists have the same address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org), student emails were changed to use the @go.olemiss.edu and we allow attachments to be a whopping 25 MB. Do you need a new mailing list? Contact the IT Helpdesk to get started.
Blackboard Mobile is Upgraded
Besides software and hardware upgrades for Blackboard over the summer to improve performance, Blackboard upgraded their mobile interface. Students can use the Blackboard Mobile Learn App to access course documents, read announcements, respond to discussion board posts, and check their Blackboard grades. Instructors can use the mobile app to post announcements, read and respond to discussion board posts, and upload photos or videos. Download the free Blackboard Mobile Learn App for your smartphone before the semester gets rolling.
The Official Ole Miss App, iPad Edition is Live
Our iPad app went live in April and we are constantly making improvements! Get the FREE iPad app today.
Links and TECHNews Articles
The links and articles below point to information and sites used every day on campus.
- Get Started – IT has links to commonly used websites for employees, parents and students.
- myOleMiss – Grades, registration and other services.
- UMMail – Do you need to check your employee email from a web browser? Ummail is the answer.
- Personal folders with UMMail – Are you running out of disk space on UM Mail? This TECHNews article provides the steps to store email locally.
- UM Mobile – Check your grades and registration information, all from your smartphone.
- Blackboard – Our learning management system used by our instructors to interact with students. Don’t forget about Blackboard Mobile for your smartphone.
- Find your Phone – Read this TECHNews article before you lose your phone on campus.
- Course Notes Online – Instructors and students should be aware of the risks of using third party course notes services.
If you have additional questions, please contact the IT Helpdesk at 662-915-5222 or email@example.com. You can visit our website for more information or contact us Monday through Friday, 8 AM CDT – 5 PM CDT. Go Rebels!